23 February 2002

Let me say first that the US Constitution is a document specifically intended to limit the power of the Federal government in the lives of the citizens of this country. Without this basic understanding, what follows will generate nothing more than flames directed at me as a reactionary fool. I expect those, anyway, but at least hope for some thoughtful discussion.

The Bill of Rights

"Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."


I’m going to tackle this one phrase at a time, beginning with the first clause, ‘Congress shall make no law…’

First thing: This language is quite clear, anyone with a grasp of the English language should see that, yet I must confess surprise that lawyers and Congress-critters seem to be able to ignore this. Naïve of me, I know, as I’ve been aware of the shortcomings of the US education system since I was enrolled in it. I was quite fortunate in that my parents encouraged me to read everything I could get my hands on, and to think about it.

Secondly: This says nothing about State legislatures, cities, private organizations, etc. They can do as they please; this clause limits the power of the Federal government. State legislatures are limited by their own constitutions, not by limits imposed by the Federal Constitution.

Next; ‘…respecting an establishment of religion…’

No comments: